Back to school and work lunchbox ideas (part four!)
Next time you're making a lunchbox, try a salad instead of a sandwich. Part four of our lunchbox series features a crispy veg and noodle salad.
Lunchbox filler ideas:
- Boiled egg
- Nut Mix
- Veggie Noodle Salad (recipe below)
- Dark choc treat
Veggie Noodle Salad
- 200g / 7oz udon noodles
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 head of red cabbage, finely sliced
- 2 carrots, finely sliced
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, finely sliced
- 1 cup snow peas, sliced
- 1 cup bean shoots
- handful of mint leaves
- handful of coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- handful of toasted cashews, optional
- handful of fried shallows, optional
- sliced red chilli, optional
For the dressing:
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 3 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 3 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- a few drops of sesame oil
What to do:
- To make the dressing, place all ingredients in a small jar and shake to combine. Set aside.
- To make the salad, cook the udon noodles until they are al dente, according to the packet instructions.
- Once the noodles are cooked, drain and rinse them thoroughly in cold water to stop them from cooking any further.
- Once the noodles are cool, drain them well again and toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil to stop them sticking.
- In a large salad bowl, toss the cool noodles with the dressing. Add the sliced veggies and herbs and toss again.
- Sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds and serve.
To make this salad heartier, add some pan-fried tofu or shredded cooked chicken.