Back to school and work lunchbox ideas (part two!)
- Caprese sandwich (recipe below)
- Choc date Bliss balls (recipe below)
- Trail mix
Caprese Sandwich (Serves 4)
- 1–2 large ripe tomatoes, thickly sliced
- drizzle of olive oil
- drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 baguette or 4 bread rolls
- 100g / 3.5oz pesto*
- 200g / 7.05oz baby mozzarella, torn
- a few fresh basil leaves
What to do:
- Slice the tomatoes. Drizzle them with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Set aside to marinate for a few minutes.
- Slice the baguette or bread rolls in half.
- Spread one side of the bread with the pesto, and then layer on the mozzarella.
- Layer on the marinated tomatoes and the fresh basil leaves before popping on the sandwich’s lid.
Choc Date Bliss Balls
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 2 cups pitted dates, if using packet dates. soak in warm water for a few minutes
- 1 cup shredded or desiccated coconut
- 1/3 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut for rolling in
What to do:
- Add almonds to blender and pulse until, they have the appearance of coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add each ingredient one at a time, and wait until combined before adding the next.
- Once final mixture is combined. roll into balls. If it isn't sticking together. Add a couple of extra dates.
- Roll the balls in coconut or your choice of coating.