Here’s one of our fave recipes – a delish, easy orange poppyseed cake.
• 2 small oranges
• 4 free-range eggs
• 1/2 cup honey
• 3 cups almond meal
• 1 tsp baking powder
• pinch of salt
• 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- Place the oranges into a saucepan and cover with water.
- Place the saucepan on the stovetop, over medium heat, and bring to the boil.
- Allow the oranges to boil in the water with the lid on for 20–30 minutes, or until tender.
- Remove the oranges from the saucepan and allow to cool. You can boil the oranges the day before and keep them in the fridge overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C / 340°F / Gas Mark 3.
- Grease and line a 20cm round springform tin with baking paper.
- Place the cooled oranges in a food processor and whiz on high speed for 2 minutes, or until they become a smooth paste.
- Add the eggs and honey to the oranges, and whiz again for another 1–2 minutes, until smooth and pale.
- Add the almond meal, baking powder and salt, and whiz again, scraping down the sides to ensure all the ingredients mix in.
- Add in the poppy seeds and pulse the mixture a couple of times, just to help incorporate the seeds.
- Remove the blade from the food processor and pour the mixture into the prepared tin. Smooth the top of the batter with a spatula.
- Bake in the oven for 50–60 minutes, or until the cake is golden on top and a skewer inserted into its centre comes out clean.
- Allow your orange poppyseed cake to cool in the tin before removing and slicing.