Great Brekky Makes for a Great Day
Great Brekky Makes for a Great Day
3 Septmeber 2015
Something changed in my life this week. I decided to take more care of myself. I tend to gradually spiral into self neglect. It starts with little things but once you drop the little things, it is easier to forget the big things.
This needed to change. If the leader of the gang is feeling crappy and has no motivation, then why would anyone else?
Here are the following changes I’ve made this week, some of them may seem small, but holy moly even the smallest change has had a huge impact on my general sense of feeling amazing by Thursday.
- I got up, had a shower and got dressed before EVERYONE else. Which meant I made brekky and lunches feeling refreshed and awake. It also meant I wasn’t yelling at kids to put their shoes on while brushing my teeth, just before we run out the door. It covers my clothes in toothpaste and makes me and my six year old resemble each other more than we already do.
- I ate brekky. This is something I have always skipped. Opting for coffee as I run around getting kids ready. Stopping and staring out the window while eating something is a whole new world to me.
- I spent more time being present with my kids. Instead of staring at my computer, I put it down and made the hours between school pick up and bedtime strictly for them. It’s amazing how this can snap you out of the computer hole and bring you back to the real world, where your ace kids live.
- I started exercising again. It’s amazing how one day of exercise can make your whole life feel back on track. I may have needed a lie down afterwards, but once I’d recovered, I felt the best I had in ages! (during my session this morning I had to have a lie down halfway through–super embarrassing, but I am feeling great now!)
- I finally went and got acupuncture. I’ve had the worst migraines and headaches for the last few weeks and the only thing that had fixed me in the past was acupuncture. So I finally made an appointment and I bounced out of there a newer and lighter version of myself.
The moral of my story is sometimes when we forget to take time out for ourselves, or we feel guilty to. I felt guilty having a shower before everyone else. WHY? What was wrong with me?
Be nice to yourself. Do something nice for yourself. I seriously thought the world would fall apart if I wasn’t doing some kind of parenty or worky thing every moment of the day. All that does is lead to burn out. Let’s not go to that place, it isn’t nice.
How about starting with this granola for brekky? Made by my buddy Jade. She makes lots of stuff that makes you feel great. She has a knack.
ALMOND + GOJI BERRY GRANOLA
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup flaked almonds
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup pepitas
- 1/3 cup goji berries
- pinch sea salt
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO
- Place a large heavy based pan over medium heat and toast your oats for a couple of minutes, add a pinch of salt and the coconut oil and keep toasting for about 5 minutes, stirring every now and then.
- Add the maple syrup and stir to coat. Make sure your pan is not too hot, maple burns easily.
- Add pepitas, cinnamon, coconut and flaked almonds and keep toasting gently, stirring occasionally.
- Once everything is golden, remove from heat and stir through the goji berries. Transfer mixture to a bowl to cool completely before storing in an air tight container.
This makes about 2 cups of granola.
If you double the recipe, as I did, make sure you toast the mixture in two separate batches. You need a nice thin layer in the pan so it browns evenly.