Orange, Ricotta + Polenta Cake
This cake has the most simplest ingredients, even when they’re all mixed together you can still taste each one of them. It is best enjoyed with a cuppa and a friend, or as a treat when visiting your fam this Easter, or taken to a music festival, which is what I will be doing. Come say hi if you’re at Boogie and get a slice!
Orange, Ricotta + Polenta Boogie Cake
- 100g / 3.5oz butter, at room temperature
- 150ml / 5fl oz local honey
- zest of 4 oranges, finely grated
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, separated
- 140g / 5oz almond meal
- 125g / 4.5oz instant polenta
- 250g / 9oz ricotta
- 1/4 cup flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 160°C / 325°F / Gas Mark 3.
- Line the base and sides of a 20cm springform tin with baking paper.
- Pop the butter, half the honey, orange zest and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat, with paddle attachment, until creamy.
- Add the egg yolks and beat for a minute.
- Fold in the almond meal, polenta and ricotta.
- Whisk egg whites in a separate bowl until soft peaks form.
- Add remaining honey and continue whisking until soft peaks form again.
- Slowly fold egg whites into the cake mixture.
- Pop mixture into cake tin, smooth the top, and sprinkle with flaked almonds.
- Bake for 40–50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Err on the side of undercooked, as this cake can turn dry quickly. The centre may look wobbly, but will firm up once cooled.
- Leave to cool completely before removing from the tin.