Mixed Berry Buckwheat Crunch Muesli Bars
MIXED BERRY BUCKWHEAT CRUNCH MUESLI BARS
These beauties are full of the good stuff, take 20 mins to bake and last a week in the fridge. That’s the lunchbox treat for next week sorted.
Makes 12 muesli bars
You will need a 20cm square baking tin, baking paper, a small saucepan, a wooden spoon and a medium sized bowl.
- 1/2 cup buckwheat groats
- 1 cup cornflakes
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup dried berries – such as cranberries, dried raspberries, goji berries
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- Preheat your oven to 180°C / 350˚F / Gas Mark 4.
- Tear a long piece of baking paper, a little over twice the length of your tin.
- Line the bottom of 20cm square tin with the middle of your long piece of paper, there will be extra paper on either side of the tin – you will use this paper to fold over your muesli bar mixture and press it down.
- In a small saucepan, gently heat the honey, coconut oil and vanilla paste until the coconut oil has melted. Turn off the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the buckwheat, cornflakes, oats, berries, coconut flakes, chia seeds and cinnamon with a wooden spoon.
- Mix through the egg white until well combined, then add in the cooled coconut and honey mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into the baking tin and press down with the back of your wooden spoon until it is flat.
- Fold over the excess paper on top of the muesli mix, and press down with your hands until it feels firm.
- Bake in the oven, with the paper still folded over the muesli mix, for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool to room temperature, then chill in the fridge for an hour before cutting into bars.
- Store bars in the refrigerator for up to a week.