Mini chocolate beetroot cakes
Mini chocolate beetroot cakes are packed full of hidden veggie goodness. Good for lunchboxes, parties or morning tea. The kids will never even know there's anything but chocolate in them.
For the chocolate beetroot cake:
- 60g / 2oz dark chocolate, chopped
- 90g / 3oz unsalted butter
- 120g / 4oz muscovado sugar
- 2 eggs
- 160ml / 5.5 fl oz sour cream
- 70g / 2.5oz self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp raw cocoa
- 100g / 3.5oz cooked beetroot, grated
For the icing:
- 50g / 1.75oz unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp sifted icing sugar
- 250g / 8.75oz crème fraîche
- 3 tbsp beetroot juice, saved from cooking beetroot
To make the mini chocolate beetroot cakes:
- Preheat oven to 180˚C / 350˚F / Gas Mark 4.
- Grease and flour your mini loaf tin.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
- With an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until well combined.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each.
- Add the sour cream and cooled melted chocolate, and mix well.
- Fold in the flour and cocoa and then the grated beetroot, until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into your mini loaf tin.
- Bake for 15–20 minutes.
- Cool completely on wire rack before icing.
- For the icing, beat the butter until it becomes light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the icing sugar. Once combined, drop in your beetroot juice and then, with a spoon, gently mix in the crème fraîche. Be careful not to over-beat.