How to make an apple piñata
Every kid loves a piñata at their party. This apple piñata DIY is a cinch to make thanks to the paper lantern that's used as a mould. Time to get crafting!
You will need:
- 1 paper lantern (we used 30cm diameter)
- newspaper / scrap paper torn into strips
- PVA glue
- container to mix glue
- small piece of card and tape to plug the hole in bottom
- 1 packet of red tissue or crepe paper cut into 3cm-wide strips and then make 2cm vertical cuts along the strips to create the fringed effect.
- double-sided tape
- 1 small piece of green card for the leaf
- 1 extra large brown pipe cleaner for the stem
- string to hang
- fun things to put in your piñata!
How to make your apple piñata:
- Create a mixture of 1/2 PVA glue and 1/2 water.
- Coat strips of scrap paper in the glue mixture and place lengthways down the lantern.
- Do this until the lantern is covered and repeat again so there are 2 coats.
- Leave to dry–this may take up to 24 hours.
- Cut the card in a circle to plug the hole in the bottom of the lantern and secure in place with tape.
- Once your lantern is dry, start to add the layers of fringed tissue/crepe paper.
- Start from the bottom of the lantern in rows until the whole lantern is covered.
- Fill your piñata.
- Cut a leaf shape from green card.
- Attach the brown pipe cleaner to metal parts of lantern at the top.
- Attach the leaf to the pipe cleaner with PVA glue.
- Attach string also to metal part and hang up.