Orange and Cannellini Cake
Orange and cannellini cake might sound weird, but don’t knock it till you try it!
Inspired by Anna Jones' Amazing Lemon Cannellini Cake, we made an orange version. Ours also has icing and sprinkles and we decided it's crazy delicious.
If you hate zesting oranges, you can use a vegetable peeler to peel off the skin. Use a light touch to avoid getting the bitter white pith.
For the orange and cannellini cake (Serves 8–10) :
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 x 400g / 14.1oz cans of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 150ml / 5 fl oz honey
- 2 tsp vanilla paste
- zest (or skin) of 2 oranges
- 4 free-range or organic eggs
- 100g / 3.5oz almond meal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
For the orange drizzle icing:
- 175g / 6.1oz icing sugar
- juice of about 1/2 an orange
To make the orange and cannellini cake:
- Preheat your oven to 190°C / 375°F / Gas Mark 5.
- Grease and line a 20cm round baking tin with baking paper.
- Pop the coconut oil in a small saucepan and heat over a low heat until melted. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In the bowl of a food processor, put the drained cannellini beans, honey, vanilla paste and orange zest.
- Process for 3 or 4 minutes, or until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Crack the eggs into a cup, checking that each egg is fresh.
- Start the food processor up again and add the eggs one at a time, letting each one combine before adding the next.
- Stop the processor and add the almond meal, baking powder and salt.
- Blitz the mixture. While the machine is still running, drizzle in the melted coconut oil.
- Once the mixture is completely smooth, tip it into your prepared baking tin.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 55–60 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean, and the centre of the cake is springy when you touch it.
- Allow to cool in the tin.
To make the icing:
- Pop the icing sugar and a little orange juice into a small bowl.
- Stir well with a tablespoon, until there are no lumps.
- Add more orange juice, a little at a time, until you have reached a thick drizzling consistency.
- Place the cake onto your serving plate.
- Drizzle the icing onto the cake.
- Sprinkle with sprinkles. (If you are keen to make your own sprinkles, there’s a recipe in Lunch Lady issue 6.)