UPSIDE-DOWN APPLE + CINNAMON CAKES
Back to basics with butter, sugar and flour for these apple beauties.
- 75g / 2.75oz butter, diced into 12 cubes
- 65g / 2.25oz brown sugar
- 6 little cooking apples, sliced
- 220g / 7.5oz plain flour
- 140g / 4.75oz golden caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 160ml / 5.4 fl oz milk
- 55g / 2oz butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 180˚C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4.
- Put a cube of butter in each hole of your muffin tray and pop in oven for 3–5 minutes, or until butter melts.
- Sprinkle a little brown sugar over the butter in each hole and stir with a teaspoon.
- Cut 12 slices of apple,5mm / 1/4" thick. Make sure you cut across the apple to see the star pattern. Place a slice in each muffin hole.
- Coarsely grate the remaining apple and set aside.
- In a bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Pop the grated apple, milk, 1/4 cup butter, egg and vanilla in an electric mixer and mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and continue mixing until just combined.
- Spoon mixture evenly over apples.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes and turn out on a wire rack.
This recipe is from Lunch Lady issue 2 (Sold Out). Collect the rest of the Lunch Lady magazine series here