the (After-School) hunger-games
SWEET FRENCH TOAST + STRAWBERRIES
• 2 eggs
• 1/4 cup pure cream or buttermilk
• 4 slices of bread, cut into triangles
• 1/4 cup strawberries, hulled and sliced
• icing sugar, for sprinkling
1. Whisk eggs and cream or buttermilk until smooth.
2. Dip bread triangles in egg mixture, turning once to cover bread completely.
3. Heat 1 tsp olive oil, butter or coconut oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
4. Pop eggy bread into pan and cook for 2–3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
5. Serve toast with strawberries and a sprinkle of icing sugar.
EGG + MISO SOLDIERS
• 4 eggs
• 1 tbsp light-coloured miso paste
• 2 tbsp butter, softened at room temperature
• 4 slices of bread, your choice
1. Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
2. In a bowl, combine miso paste and butter until smooth.
3. Toast bread and spread evenly with miso butter.
4. Slice toast evenly into
4 pieces, lengthways.
5. Pop soft-boiled eggs into egg cups and slice eggs open.
6. Use your soldiers for dipping into the yolk.
BOILED EGGS + DUKKAH
• 4 eggs
• 30g / 1oz hazelnuts
• 1 tsp cumin seeds
• 1 tsp caraway seeds
• 2 tsp sesame seeds
• 1 tsp thyme
• 1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 180˚C / 350˚F / Gas Mark 4.
2. Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Strain and refresh in cold running water. Peel eggs.
3. Place hazelnuts on a tray and roast in oven for 10 minutes, or until golden.
4. Add seeds to a frying pan and dry-heat gently for 1–2 minutes or until fragrant. Remove from pan to cool. Place seeds, nuts, thyme and salt in a food processor and whiz until you’ve got your desired texture.
5. Roll eggs in dukkah seasoning until they’re covered completely.
• 400g / 14oz raw cashews
• 200g / 7oz raw almonds
• 100g / 3.5oz raw macadamias
• 1/2 tsp oil, optional
• pinch of salt, optional
1. Preheat oven to 180˚C / 350˚F / Gas Mark 4. Line 2 oven trays with baking paper.
2. Place all nuts on the trays and roast for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
3. Remove nuts from oven and allow to cool completely.
4. Using a food processor, process nuts for 30 seconds, and add oil and salt. Continue to process in 30-second intervals until smooth.
APPLES + NUT BUTTER + GRANOLA
• 1 cup granola
• 2 apples, thinly sliced
• 2 tbsp nut butter
1. Slice apples thinly and horizontally, so that you have a nice big circle.
2. Spread nut butter over the apple slices and sprinkle granola over the top.
CRACKERS + NUT BUTTER + BANANA + HONEY
• 1/2 packet dry crackers
• 2 tbsp nut butter
• 2 bananas, sliced
• 1 tbsp honey
• sesame seeds, to garnish
1. Divide crackers, nut butter, banana slices and honey evenly between 2 platters.
2. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.