Pasta from scratch: how to make pasta!
Step by step recipe: how to make pasta.
To make pasta you need:
• 2 cups plain flour
• 1/2 tsp sea salt
• 3 large eggs
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• pinch of sea salt
1. Pop eggs, oil and salt into a food processor and whiz until combined.
2. Add the flour and whiz until a dough just forms.
3. Remove dough from the food processor and place on a well-floured surface.
4. Knead until it’s smooth.
5. Rub a little olive oil over the dough and cover in plastic wrap.
6. Leave to rest at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
7. Feed the dough through a pasta machine set on the widest setting. As the sheet comes out, fold it into thirds and feed it through the rollers again, still on the widest setting. Repeat this 4 times.
8. Continue to feed the pasta dough through the rollers, gradually reducing the settings, one pass at a time, until the pasta is at your chosen thickness. Your sheet of pasta dough will get pretty long, so, if you’re struggling to control it, you can cut the sheet in half and feed each piece through separately.
9. Once the sheets of pasta dough are at a thickness you’re happy with, hang them over the back of a chair or a (clean) broom handle to dry a little—this makes cutting easier. Or, if you’re in a rush, dust the pasta with a little flour and let it rest for at least 30 minutes.
10. Now you’re ready to make whichever pasta you like.