ORANGE POPPYSEED CAKE
What you need:
• 2 small oranges
• 4 free-range eggs
• 1/2 cup honey
• 3 cups almond meal
• 1 tsp baking powder
• pinch of salt
• 2 tbsp poppy seeds
What to do:
1. Place the oranges into a saucepan and cover with water.
2. Place the saucepan on the stovetop, over medium heat, and bring to the boil.
3. Allow the oranges to boil in the water with the lid on for 20–30 minutes, or until tender.
4. Remove the oranges from the saucepan and allow to cool. You can boil the oranges the day before and keep them in the fridge overnight.
5. Preheat the oven to 170°C / 340°F / Gas Mark 3.
6. Grease and line a 20cm round springform tin with baking paper.
7. Place the cooled oranges in a food processor and whiz on high speed for 2 minutes, or until they become a smooth paste.
8. Add the eggs and honey to the oranges, and whiz again for another 1–2 minutes, until smooth and pale.
9. Add the almond meal, baking powder and salt, and whiz again, scraping down the sides to ensure all the ingredients mix in.
10. Add in the poppy seeds and pulse the mixture a couple of times, just to help incorporate the seeds.
11. Remove the blade from the food processor and pour the mixture into the prepared tin. Smooth the top of the batter with a spatula.
12. Bake in the oven for 50–60 minutes, or until the cake is golden on top and a skewer inserted into its centre comes out clean.
13. Allow the cake to cool in the tin before removing and slicing.
This recipe is from issue 11 of Lunch Lady magazine, you can buy the issue in our shop HERE.