Homemade Soda Bread
Making your own bread doesn't have to be a long and complicated process. In fact, this homemade soda bread proves it can be done and dusted within the hour.
Homemade soda bread:
Duration: 30 – 50 minutes
- 170g / 6oz self-raising wholemeal flour
- 170g / 6oz plain flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarb soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 290ml / 1/2pt buttermilk
- 2 tbsp rolled oats
To make the bread:
- Preheat oven to 220˚C / 425˚F / Gas Mark 7.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a big bowl, mix together flours, bicarb soda and salt.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the buttermilk. Stir together until a dough develops.
- Pop the dough onto a lightly floured bench. With floured hands, bring the dough together into a ball and pat into a round loaf.
- Put the loaf onto the prepared baking tray and cut a 2.5cm / 1” deep X in the top with a very sharp knife.
- Sprinkle oats over loaf.
- Bake for 30 minutes, and then turn the loaf upside-down on the baking sheet and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.