Sunshine, swimming, school holidays + sandy beaches, we head off to Newcastle these holidays and these are some of the tasty recipes we’ll be enjoying along the way.
SMOKY ZUCCHINI RICE SLICE
For the base:
• 2 cups brown rice, cooked
• 1 egg
• 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
• 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
For the filling:
• 8 eggs
• 1 cup buttermilk
• 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
• 100g / 3.5oz smoky bacon, cut into thin strips
• 3 zucchinis, cut into ribbons with a veggie peeler
• 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
• 100g / 3.5oz goat’s curd
• 1 tsp sesame seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C / 350˚C / Gas Mark 4.
2. Grease and line a 24cm springform tin.
3. To make the base, combine rice, egg, cheese and chilli in a small mixing bowl.
4. Spread the rice mix over the base of the tin, using the back of a spoon to gently press the rice until it’s fairly even. Bake for 15 minutes.
5. While rice is in the oven, start to make the filling by combining the 8 eggs, buttermilk and parmesan cheese in a bowl. Whisk until combined. Season to taste.
6. After 15 minutes, remove tin from oven and sprinkle bacon over the rice base.
7. Top with spring onion, followed by ribboned zucchini. Pour egg mixture over the zucchini, making sure it’s evenly distributed.
8. Sprinkle with goat’s curd and sesame seeds.
9. Bake for 45 minutes or until it doesn’t wobble in the centre.
10. Allow to cool a little before slicing.