Chocolate Orange Muffins
This ingenious muffin-in-an-orange trick works a treat in any campfire.
What you need:
- 1 1/2 mugs self-raising flour
- 1/2 mug brown sugar
- 1/2 mug dark choc chips
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup oil
- 4 whole oranges
What to do:
- Cut a slice off each orange, about a third of the way from the top.
- Using a paring knife or a spoon, scoop out the orange flesh, being careful not to pierce the skin. Set aside scooped-out oranges and pop the orange flesh in a bowl.
- To make the muffin mix, stir together flour, brown sugar and chocolate chips in a bowl.
- In a camping mug, mix together oil and egg, and then add to dry mix.
- Squeeze the flesh of the oranges over the mixture so that the juice is added to the batter—about half a cup. Eat the pulp.
- With a wooden spoon, gently fold the batter until just combined.
- Scoop batter into each of the oranges until they’re about three-quarters full. Place orange lid on top, and then wrap in foil.
- Place in the coals of the campfire, around the edges, and cook for about 15 minutes. Turn occasionally to ensure the batter cooks evenly.
- Unwrap foil and serve with a spoon.