BANANA TOFFEE YOGHURT CAKE
You can easily make this cake vegan just by substituting the natural yoghurt with coconut yoghurt. You can also make it gluten-free by using your favourite gluten-free flour.
• 3 large bananas
• 35g / 1.2oz coconut sugar
• 250g / 8.8oz nut butter
• 150g / 5.3oz maple syrup
• 100ml / 3.4 fl oz natural yoghurt
• 1 tsp vanilla paste
• 120g / 4.2oz plain or buckwheat flour
• 2 tsp baking powder
• 2 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
• pinch of salt
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4.
2. Grease and line a 26cm round springform tin with baking paper.
3. Sprinkle the base of the cake tin with the coconut sugar. Slice two of the bananas and arrange the slices on the bottom of the tin.
4. In a medium-sized bowl, mash the remaining banana with the back of a fork. Add the nut butter, maple syrup, yoghurt and vanilla paste, and whisk together well.
5. In a small bowl, measure out all of the dry ingredients and give them a little whisk to combine. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir well until smooth.
6. Pour the batter carefully into the cake tin, using the back of a spoon to smooth the batter into an even layer.
7. Place the tin into the centre of the oven and bake for around 40 minutes, rotating the tin after 20 minutes to ensure even baking.
8. The cake is ready when the top is golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
9. Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool slightly in the tin before removing the springform and inverting the cake onto a plate. Once the cake is on the plate, remove the baking paper.