a royale with cheese
Boogie Burger with Cheese
For the burger
• 2 tbsp unsalted butter
• 1 brown onion, sliced
• 1 cup whole egg mayonnaise
• 1/3 cup tomato sauce
• 1/4 cup American mustard
• 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
• 250g / 8.8oz chuck steak, minced
• 250g / 8.8oz brisket, minced
• 50g / 1.75oz tasty cheese, sliced
• 4 squishy buns
• pinch of sea salt
• 1 white onion, finely diced
• 1 dill pickled cucumber, sliced
Ask your butcher for the chuck steak and brisket to be minced twice on a medium grade. Yes, your butcher may roll their eyes, but the boogie burger needs the fat and richness of brisket and the robust flavour of chuck steak … minced twice.
For the salad
1. In a small saucepan, on low heat, gently melt unsalted butter. Add brown onion and gently cook for 10 minutes or until the onion is limp.
2. Remove from heat, put onion into a bowl and place in fridge to cool.
3. Once completely cooled, add the mayonnaise, tomato sauce, mustard and Worcestershire sauce, and mix together.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together the 2 cuts of beef with your hands, and then divide into 4 even balls and press each ball flat. (Make sure you press the beef patties slightly larger than your bread bun, so that when the beef shrinks during cooking it won’t end up smaller than your bun.)
5. Sprinkle one side of each patty with salt.
6. Get everything ready to go. Burgers grill quickly!
7. Heat a frying pan over medium–high heat. There’s no need to add oil.
8. Place 1–2 burger patties into the pan, salty side down.
9. Cook for 3 minutes and flip.
10. Once you’ve flipped your burger patties, pop the cheese slices on top of them straight away so they can start to melt.
11. While the second side is cooking, toast the buns.
12. Once the burger patties are cooked, allow them to rest for a minute and then pop them straight onto the buns.
13. Top with mayonnaise sauce, pickle slices, white onion and any salad options.
This recipe is part of our Dinner is Never Dull Series powered by the uncompromising Fat Bastard wines. Fat Bastard is all about big, bold, beautiful juice. They source fruit from the best regions all around the world and promise big taste + big flavour everytime. Boogie Burger with Cheese wine pairing suggestion: Fat Bastard Malbec :)