Vegan Iced VoVo slice
Iced vovos are an Aussie classic, and this recipe for vegan iced Vovo slice is even better than the store-bought biccie.
Raspberry and Cashew Cream Iced Vovo Slice
Tip: Soak cashews overnight before making this slice. If you’re in a hurry, soak them in boiling water to soften quickly.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes, plus setting and chilling
For the biscuit base:
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup whole rolled oats
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tbsp raw caster sugar
For the chia raspberry jam:
- 250g / 8.8oz frozen raspberries
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1–2 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
For the cashew cream:
- 2 cups cashews, soaked for 4 hours
- 1/2 cup coconut cream, thick part only
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- a few drops natural pink food colouring, optional
- 200g / 7oz fresh raspberries
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
To make the raspberry and cashew cream iced vovo slice:
- Preheat fan-forced oven to 170°C / 340°F / Gas Mark 3. Line a small baking tray with baking paper.
- To make base of the slice, place almond meal, desiccated coconut and oats into a blender or food processor and blend until a fine crumb is achieved. Add coconut oil and sugar and pulse until mixture comes together. Add mixture to baking tray and press out the base evenly. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly golden. Allow to cool before placing tray in fridge to chill.
- To make the raspberry chia jam, add raspberries, maple syrup and water to a small saucepan and place over medium heat. Allow to simmer and raspberries to break down, then stir in chia seeds and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely until it becomes jammy.
- To make cashew cream, place cashews, coconut cream, vanilla, maple syrup and water into a high-powered blender. Blend on medium–high speed until a smooth, creamy texture is achieved, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. When smooth, stir through pink food colouring, if using. Chill in fridge.
- To assemble slice, add chia jam to the top of the biscuit base and smooth to spread evenly. Pipe or spread cashew cream on either side of the slice, leaving a third of the jam in the centre uncovered. Top jam with fresh raspberries. Scatter with shredded coconut and place in the fridge to set. Best eaten on the day it’s made and kept in the fridge.