I Know I’m Late on the Granola Train
6 January 2016
I’ve loved granola forever. And I have been buying it forever. Like a mad woman. For some reason, when visiting Dad in Tassie this Christmas, I was staring at the boxes of granola in the supermarket and finally snapped. HOW EXPENSIVE IS THIS BLOODY GRANOLA????? The cheapest I could find was a half empty box of sad looking pale brown blobs of oats for six bucks. My new year’s resolution was set. I am finally going to get into making my own fave brekky.
And I did.
And it is SO EASY.
I know that there has been a bajillion posts about granola, and that I have definitely hopped on this train WAY later than all the cool kids, but that’s ok. Because, as I sat at the bench this morning eating my very own toasted creation, I didn’t care.
So here is my version, which I ate with my other current ‘thing’, griddled peaches.
SEE YA LATER SUPERMARKET GRANOLA
WHAT YOU NEED
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups smashed raw almonds (pop in a tea towel and smash with a rolling pin)
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup raw cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups chopped dates
- pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- sea salt for finishing
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO
- Preheat the oven to 130˚C / 250˚F / Gas Mark 1/2.
- Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Pop the oats, almonds, coconut, cocoa, salt, and dates in a large bowl.
- Whisk the melted coconut oil and maple syrup together and pour into the bowl with the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix well to combine.
- Spread the mixture on the baking trays in even layers.
- Bake for 1 hour, remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.