So Excited to Finally Tell You!
30 October 2015
Holy moly I’ve been busting to share something with you all for so long! Imagine being pregnant and not being able to tell anyone until the day your baby popped out, it’s kinda, but not really, just like that.
Let me introduce you to my new baby! Lunch Lady is now a real life magazine. One that sits on shelves in newsagents and cool shops, one that smells amazing and one that can turn a crappy coffee table into the prettiest in town.
And just like babies, it takes more than one person to make one. Lunch Lady Magazine is a collaboration between myself, Louise Bannister and Lara Burke, co-founders of frankie, Smith Journal and SPACES magazines and now out on their own with, We Print Nice Things. And when they’re part of your magazine making team you know it is going to be beautiful and a damn good read.
To think of where my girls and I have come from in the last two years is amazing. And, yes, I am getting a little emotional. But seriously, our lives were pretty fragile and slowly we’ve worked our way to a place where we’re, happy, smiling and making a magazine with two kick ass ladies. I have to say such a huge thank you to both of them for sending me an email all those months ago and believing I could do this!
And a HUGE thank you to all of you guys, you are the best. Your emails, messages and random mugs in the post, have kept pushing me along when things have all seemed a bit poo. I really hope you all love the printed Lunch Lady, I’m insanely proud of her, she is the most beautiful magazine I have ever seen. I can’t wait for you all to have her in your hands, homes and handbags.
Here is a recipe for Kingston bickies, I find a cuppa and a plate of biscuits adds to any magazine reading experience.
This is the beginning of cool stuff. Thanks for being part of this with me. x
BISCUITS TO READ LUNCH LADY WITH
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 tbsp thickened cream
- 100g / 3.5oz milk chocolate, finely chopped
- 60g / 2oz butter, cubed, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp golden syrup
- 1 cup self-raising flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup oats
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 350˚F / Gas Mark 4.
- Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- To make the filling: In a small saucepan, bring cream almost to the boil on high.
- Remove from heat and stir chocolate through until melted and smooth. Place in fridge for 30 minutes until thick and spreadable.
- To make biscuits: Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and golden syrup.
- Fold flour, coconut and oats through until combined.
- Roll teaspoons of mixture into balls. Place on trays 5cm apart. Flatten with a fork.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Make little sandwiches with the biscuits with chocolate filling and chill until firm.
- Put on the kettle, get out Lunch Lady and at least 3 biscuits and enjoy.