Perfect for school lunches, these little biscuits are easy and fun!
• 190g / 6.5oz unsalted butter, at room temperature
• 1 cup caster sugar
• 1 egg
• 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 330g / 11.5oz plain flour, sifted
1. Beat butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on high until creamy.
2. Add egg and vanilla, and beat well.
3. Pop in salt and half the flour.
4. Beat on low until flour has been absorbed. Then add the rest of the flour and mix to a dough.
5. Knead the dough lightly and chop into two equal balls.
6. Wrap each of your balls in plastic wrap.
7. Pop them both in the fridge for 1 hour.
8. Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 5.
9. Take dough out of fridge and let stand for 5 minutes.
10. Roll dough between sheets of baking paper until it is 5mm thick.
11. Cut dough into shapes using cookie cutters.
12. Gently put the biscuits on baking trays lined with baking paper.
13. Refrigerate the biscuits until firm—usually 20–30 minutes.
14. Bake for 10–12 minutes.
15. Cool on wire racks.
Looking for more recipes? Check out our favourite berry treats or get dinner sorted with these black bean bowls with warm tortilla chips.
This story is from Issue 1. Lunch Lady recipes never go out of date! You can order back issues from our Shop here.