Makes 12 slices
What you need:
• 2 ripe bananas
• 1/2 cup olive oil
• 2 free-range eggs
• 1 tbsp vanilla paste
• 1/3 cup honey
• 1 cup buckwheat or plain flour
• 1 cup almond meal
• 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
• pinch of salt
What to do:
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C / 340°F / Gas Mark 3.
2. Grease and line a 22 x 12 cm / 9″ x 5″ loaf tin with baking paper.
3. In a medium-sized bowl, mash the bananas with a fork.
4. Add in the oil, eggs, vanilla paste and honey, and whisk to combine well.
5. Fold through the flour, almond meal, baking powder and salt until the mixture is smooth.
6. Pour the batter into the loaf tin and bake in the oven for 40–50 minutes, or until the banana bread is golden on top and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
7. Allow the banana bread to cool completely before using a sharp knife to cut it into slices around 2cm / 0.8″ thick.
8. Tear little pieces of baking paper into roughly the size of a slice of banana bread and insert them between each slice. This will make it easier to remove the slices once frozen.
9. Slide the slices into a sealable bag and place them all into the freezer, ready for a night when
you need them.
10. When you need a little night-time snack, remove one slice of banana bread from the freezer and pop it into the toaster.
11. Toast the slice on low to medium for a few minutes to make it warm and toasty around the edges.
12. Remove from toaster, spread with butter and a little drizzle of honey, and serve alongside a glass
of warm milk.
This recipe is from issue 11 of Lunch Lady Magazine. If you like this and would like more recipes, articles and craft ideas you can buy the mag in our shop here or download the Lunch Lady app from your app store and purchase digital issues here
Find more good stuff on our Instagram and Facebook pages!