This recipe is from Lunch Lady issue 11, to order your copy head to our shop.
VEGETABLE ROLLS first cousins to spring rolls, otherwise known as veg rolls
For the inside:
- 1/2 cup split red lentils, rinsed
- 3/4 cup water or vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 medium sweet potato (around 175g / 6.2oz), grated
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1/2–3/4 cup water
- 1 cup baby spinach (around 75g / 2.6oz)
- 1 tsp maple syrup, optional
- 1/2 tsp salt flakes
- freshly cracked black pepper
For the outside:
- 4 sheets frozen puff pastry
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- To make the insides, place the split red lentils and water or vegetable stock into a small saucepan, and bring to the boil over high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes with the lid on, or until the lentils are well cooked and starting to fall apart. Set aside.
- In a large, deep frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and fry gently for 4–5 minutes, or until the onion has softened.
- Add the garlic, spices and tomato paste, and fry for 1–2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the grated sweet potato and carrot, and stir well. Tip in the water and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 5–8 minutes, or until the vegetables have softened and most of the water has evaporated.
- Stir through the cooked lentils and baby spinach, and cook for another 2–3 minutes, until the spinach has wilted.
- Season with salt and pepper, and taste, adding the teaspoon of maple syrup if desired.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- To assemble the rolls, preheat the oven to 220°C / 425°F / Gas Mark 7. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Remove the pastry sheets from the freezer and allow them to soften for 5–10 minutes, just until they become pliable.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk and salt to make an egg wash for the pastry.
- Cut each sheet in half to make two long rectangles.
- Using a spoon, place two heaped tablespoons of the vegetable mixture at one end of a piece of pastry. Brush the remaining pastry lightly with the egg wash—this will help it stick.
- Gently roll the pastry over the filling. Continue rolling—and tucking in the ends—until you have formed a veggie roll!
- Place the roll seam-side down on the paper-lined tray.
- Repeat with the remaining pastry and vegetable mixture, lining up the rolls on the tray, with a little room between each.
- Brush the top of the rolls with egg wash and sprinkle with a teaspoon of sesame seeds.
- Bake in the oven for 30–35 minutes, or until the rolls are golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly before eating.