Ol’ Blighty Cheese and Pickle Scrolls
22 October 2013
As you know our lives have been fairly CRAZY over the last few forevers, but finally we are back home and life is starting to slip back in to that familiar groove. It is so comforting when the alarm chimes at it’s usual time and you get up to do the chores you always do Monday to Friday.
School holidays and big weekends away are fun, don’t get me wrong, but the rhythm that we perfect in those busy times are bliss to an organisation freak like me. 6:00am make baked treat, 6:15am chuck in oven, 6:20am exercise (this starts tomorrow), 6:45am baked treat ready, 6:50am cup of tea, 7:00am kids up!
Let’s get straight to it.
Old Blighty Cheese and Pickle Scrolls
I have to admit, this could be one of my all time favourite sandwich combos. When you’ve got two pieces of fresh bread, TONNES of butter, pickles and a good cheddar, it seriously can’t be beat. But when you wake to no bread in the house, you have to think quick smart.
I read on instagram the other day of someone making a pizza dough from self raising flour and yoghurt. I gave this a go for this recipe, I have to admit I still prefer my old school pizza dough over the quick and easy flour/yoghurt combo (BUT if you ARE in a hurry, like I was today, the self raising flour recipe is still delicious).
What you need
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 cup natural or greek yoghurt
- 5 – 6 tablespoons of mustard pickle or a chutney of your choice (I used zucchini relish, we have 5 billion jars of it)
- 250g of grated cheddar cheese (yummy cheddar, not plastic cheese and GRATE IT YOURSELF!!)
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil (to grease pan)
What to do
- Preheat the over to 220˚C and grease a baking tray.
- Grate your yummy cheddar cheese and get a tough guy to open your jar of pickles for you, so they are at the ready!
- Mix the flour and the yoghurt together to form a ball. The recipe I found said to add some more flour if it was a bit wet, I added quite a bit extra, so make sure you keep the flour handy.
- Knead the dough for 5 – 8 minutes until you have a nice dough ready to roll out. (I cheated and used the Kitchenaid dough hook and did some laundry while it did it’s business, but hands work just as well).
- Roll the dough out flat, until is is about half a centimetre thick
- Spread pickles and sprinkle cheese all over your dough.
- Roll your dough into a GIGANTIC long scroll.
- Cut your GIGANTIC long scroll in to smaller scrolls.
- Place the scrolls snug together on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Once all the scrolls are cuddling on the baking tray, sprinkle LIBERALLY more cheddar, feel free to grate more if you need to (I always find I have eaten half of the cheese by the time I have got to this point).
- Place the tray in the oven for 10 minutes on 220˚C, then turn heat down to 190˚ and bake for a further 25 minutes. (my oven is quite slow, so please make sure you keep an eye on your baking treats).
- Eat. Without burning your mouth.