Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy Nana Lynne Mini Cakes
19 August 2013
We have a glut of lemons in our house at the moment (thanks to nana lynne and her amazingly over productive garden). I had been planning to create jars of lemon curd, but I know if I do, I will devour them, secretly, in the laundry or in the car on a school run. Only to be caught with a clump of it in my hair or on the end of my nose. I am a bit of a piggy eater.
Instead I tried to convert my usual flourless orange cake in to bite size lemony goodness. These suckers are pretty lemony, but a dusting of icing sugar will help sweeten them up if you need it. This recipe may actually take longer to say than it is to make. Well not really, but this recipe is super duper fast.
What You Need
- 250g almond meal
- 250g caster sugar (little extra for sprinkling)
- 3 small to medium lemons (like the ones in the photo)
- 6 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
How You Do It
- This is the bit that takes just that little bit extra. Stick the lemons in a saucepan of cold water and bring to boil, simmer the sucker for 30 minutes. Repeat this step. Apparently I read somewhere it gets rid of the bitterness.
- Once you have your lemons you will bang this recipe out in no time.
- Preheat oven to 190˚
- Grease a muffin tray
- In a blender pop in your 6 eggs and caster sugar. Whizz them up until they are pale and creamy looking, usually about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Pop in the lemons and blend until smooth.
- Then place the almond meal and baking powder in and mix until combined.
- Spoon the mixture in to the muffin trays, almost filling each cake hole. (I have no idea what you call them, that sounds good to me).
- Sprinkle over each cake some caster sugar and pop in the oven.
- You should get about 15 – 18 cakes.