Recipe: makes 12 chocolate chip biscuits
Yummy, soft, pillowy chocolate-flecked biscuits that are gluten- and dairy-free.
• 2 tbsp coconut oil
• 1 1/2 cups almond meal
• 3 tbsp coconut flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• pinch of salt
• 1/3 cup maple syrup
• 1 1/2 tsp vanilla paste
• 1 egg
• 125g / 4.4oz dark chocolate, chopped
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C / 400°F / Gas Mark 6.
2. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
3. In a small saucepan, heat the coconut oil over low heat until just melted. Set aside to cool.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond meal, coconut flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt until there are no lumps.
5. Into the coconut oil, add the maple syrup and vanilla paste, and whisk until well combined.
6. Whisk the egg into the coconut oil mixture.
7. Pour the coconut oil mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
8. Stir through the chopped chocolate.
9. Wet your hands (to stop the mixture from sticking to them).
10. Using a tablespoon, take a heaped spoonful of the biscuit mixture and roll it into a ball. Flatten it slightly in your hands to make it biscuit-shaped. The biccies will puff as they bake, but won’t really spread.
11. Place the uncooked biccies onto the baking tray.
12. Repeat with the remaining mixture, spreading the biccies out evenly on the two trays.
13. Bake in the oven for 11–12 minutes, or until the cookies are golden.
14. Allow to cool slightly on the tray for a few minutes before eating.