You will need:
300g / 10.58oz rockling or firm white fish
1 egg, beaten
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup plain flour
4 slices of American cheese
4 little buns
For the tartare sauce:
160g / 5.64oz whole-egg mayo
1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
1 tbsp finely chopped tarragon
1 tbsp finely sliced chives
1 tsp capers
2 shallots, finely diced
1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
vegetable oil, for deep frying
What to do:
1. Cut the fish into uniformed squares around 1cm thick.
2. Dust with flour, place in egg and then press into breadcrumbs.
3. Mix all tartare ingredients together and add extra white wine vinegar to taste.
4. In the meantime, bring a steaming pot to boil. Reduce to simmer until you finish preparing the fish.
5. In a heavy-based pot, heat the vegetable oil to 180°C / 356°F. Fry each fish fillet until cooked. This should take around 2–3 minutes. Place fish on a cooling rack.
6. Bring the water back to the boil and place in your buns just above the water, so they get a good steaming.
Tip: You want to time steaming the buns with cooking the fish, so the fish won’t go cold while you’re waiting for the water to boil.
7. Once the buns are nice and squishy, remove and build your burgers. First the butter lettuce and then the fish, American cheese and topped off with tartare.