A Good Heart These Days
20 October 2015
People who think of other people, without a thought for themselves are freaking beautiful. They offer small gestures that are so heartbreakingly honest and true they amount to the most beautiful.
Last year I was called to collect my big kid from school after she’d hurt herself. At 8:00pm that evening, my phone rang. It was the school principal ringing to see if she was ok. Such a tiny thing, which a year on still makes my heart burst.
Sometimes it is just someone who is fully present. Someone who listens, who doesn’t judge and who makes you feel better just by being around.
I want to thank all these people for changing our lives and making each day a little better. You probably have no idea how much you of an impact you have on our day-to-day lives. The world would be crappy without you.
Today I made you all a batch of lemon bars, they’re one of my faves.
Thank you for being the best kind of human.
LEMON BARS FOR ALL THE GOOD HEARTS OUT THERE
WHAT YOU NEED
For the Crust
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 220g salted butter, cubed
For the Filling
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 4 eggs
- Zest and juice of 4 lemons
- Icing sugar, to top slice
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO
- For the crust, preheat the oven to 180˚C / 350˚F.
- Line a slice pan with baking paper.
- In a food processor, whiz together the flour, sugar, and salt.
- Add the butter and whiz until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Press into the lined pan and bake for about 20 minutes, until golden around the edges.
- For the filling, stir together the sugar and flour.
- Crack in the eggs and whisk to combine.
- Add the lemon zest and juice and mix until combined.
- Pour over the crust and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Cool in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Sift powdered sugar over the top before cutting into slices.