Yummy, Soft, Pillowy Chocolate-Flecked Cookies
that are Gluten and Dairy-Free.
Makes 12 cookies
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 1/2 cups almond meal
3 tbsp coconut flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp vanilla paste
125g / 4.4oz dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/ 400°F / Gas Mark 6.
- Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- In a small saucepan, heat the coconut oil over low heat until just melted. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond meal, coconut flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt until there are no lumps.
- Into the coconut oil, add the maple syrup and vanilla paste, and whisk until well combined.
- Whisk the egg into the coconut oil mixture.
- Pour the coconut oil mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Stir through the chopped chocolate.
- Wet your hands (to stop the mixture from sticking to them).
- Using a tablespoon, take a heaped spoonful of the mixture and roll it into a ball. Flatten it slightly in your hands to make it cookie-shaped. The cookies will puff as they bake, but won’t really spread.
- Place the uncooked cookies onto the baking tray.
- Repeat with the remaining mixture, spreading the cookies out evenly on the two trays.
- Bake in the oven for 11–12 minutes, or until the cookies are golden.
- Allow to cool slightly on the tray for a few minutes before eating.
This story is from Issue 10. Does your Lunch Lady collection need completing? You can order back issues from our Shop here.